Sunday, August 16, 2009

New stuff

Britney and I have decided to tackle the sink pipe by our selves. The plumber told us they would most likely go into the wall through the kitchen, which would mean pulling off the counter top to get the corner cabinet out, which might leave us with a destroyed counter top. After talking it over, we have decided to do the job ourselves, but to go through the bathroom wall instead. We are going to take out the existing sink, which we can't use right now anyways, and pull the tiles off that portion of the wall. We want to replace the sink with a pedestal sink, which we can buy for less than $100. We are also going to go ahead and replace the toilet, primarily because the one we have is both short, and flushes very poorly.

We went to Lowes today, just to look at prices of toilets and sinks. We went ahead and bought new light fixtures for the front porch, because the existing ones were falling apart, and the lights in them were very pathetic. We were going to wait on the toilet and sink, but when we went back to look at copper piping, we saw our toilet in an opened box. It had been returned because it didn't have a tank sink, but it was only $70. We decided to go ahead and buy it right then; we don't need to install it right now, and we can return it if we can't get a tank lid for a reasonable price.

Here are some pictures of today's (and yesterday's) work.

-Jon

P.S. I would like to send a big "THANK YOU" to my grandparents (Grandmother and PaPaw) for their generosity, which is making this up-coming bathroom remodel possible.

Future toilet, sans lid
New front lights
The current state of the front yard/dirt pile

5 comments:

Rien Heald said...

Two observant comments (that I'm sure you're surprised I've made):

1) The placement of your new toilet is intriguing. Very avant garde to put it in the hallway. Will make family holiday get-togethers all the more exciting.

2) Well blow me down, you must be eating a lot of spinach as your arms in the 2nd picture look like Popeye's.

Joel said...

So, it looks like a good thing that I'm not planning on visiting in the next few weeks because that would just add to the confusion. However, I know how much you would enjoy putting me to work on your yard and other projects.

Anonymous said...

I just want to add a big thanks to your grandparents for helping you do this project. It's so nice for them to be so generous when you both are trying to complete MANY projects. Also - plumbing can be...tricky...wet...frstrating - hope it all goes well.
This is all part of the FUN of home owning!!!\
luv you guys
dena

Joel said...

This is also another reason why I decided to rent.

Anonymous said...

Grandparents ROCK!

ily - mom