Saturday, September 12, 2009

Cleaning up the Bathroom Wall

Yesterday Britney and I went to Home Depot to get materials for redoing the bathroom walls (we also got a door for the back entrance into the garage). I had previously concluded that we would need to remove and replace the drywall behind the tiles, so we bought two sheets of drywall last night. When we got home, I started to remove the tiles and found that I could get the tiles off the wall without destroying the underlying drywall. This was a boon for me for two reasons; now I don't have to replace the drywall, and I realized the wall behind the tile is two layers of different thicknesses, making it difficult to match with new drywall.

Last night I removed most of the tile from the walls, leaving the toilet area alone. This morning I removed the rest of the tile and began repairing the drywall, which involved scraping the remaining tile adhesive off the wall. I then began to fill in the holes and nicks with drywall compound; the wall is not even, which combined with makes my inexperience, made it even more difficult to do. I finished most of the wall, again leaving the toilet area alone for now, and now I'm letting it dry.

I'll keep you updated on my progress. Britney and I are hoping to have this finished this week, so the plumbers can come and install the sink at the end of the week. We might have to push it off for another week, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

-Jon






No comments: