Well, as many you may know, there are some big changes going on in the Jonathan & Britney Heald household. This past week I presented and finished the work for my Masters of Arts in Immunology. To make a long story short, I wasn't able to pass the oral exam portion of my Qualifying Exam, so I was not able to continue in the PhD program. It was comforting to know that everyone, students and faculty, were surprised that I didn't pass, but it was still a very upsetting experience. Fortunately, I was able to get a M.A. from the department, and now I'm moving onto a real job. Better pay, 9-to-5 work day, and 22+ days of paid vacation! Needless to say, I'm quite excited about the future, and my follow graduate students are very jealous. I am starting my new job this coming Tuesday. I will be working at Frontier Science, a not-for-profit data management company that works with national breast cancer and HIV/AIDS clinical trials. The job will be a lot of computer work, so while it is not bench science (actually doing experiments), it is still something that sounds enjoyable; I can imagine pursuing a career in this field, and eventually managing clinical trials in some fashion. I'm excited to start this new job, and Frontier Science has expressed their excitement about me working for them. I went in this past Thursday to talk with the heads of three projects, because apparently they all want me to work for them. I think that is a pretty good way to start a new job.
Britney and Logan are also experiencing some big changes. Britney started a new job at Gift-ology, a new store in the Eastern Hills mall (where C&B used to be) that sells products like Pandora jewelry and Vera Bradley bags. The store has a younger clientele, and Britney gets to work with more enjoyable people, so she seems to be having much more fun than she did at Christopher & Banks. Because Britney and I are both working now, Logan has started day care at Kid's Klub, a place right down the street from us. While Britney is sad that she doesn't get to spend all day with Logan, we are both happy that he will be able to interact with other kids (once he is able to, that is). Logan is becoming much more interactive and responsive. He is smiling and talking a lot more, responds to our voices (and maybe his own name), and obviously enjoys being talked to. Twice this past week I took him to Wegmans to go grocery shopping, and he payed very close attention as I narrated and explained why I was buying various things. He particularly liked the meat section: when I started explaining different cuts of meat to him and why I would use the different cuts, he got very talkative and smily. Obviously he liked it.
That's all for now. We will do our best to update the blog more often.
-Jon
Logan was watching daddy peel carrots and potatoes for dinner.
Sometimes Logan wears himself out while playing
Taking a nap this morning, and kept warm by a quilt from great-grandmother Heald!
Playing in his Baby Einstein jumper, and loving it.


6 comments:
Thanks for the update and especially the pictures.. - mom
WOW! You already got the quilt - I hope logan likes the "Minkey" backing.
How wonderful he is already learning about cuts of meats - good for him!
Jon you new job sounds interesting - I'm excited for you and pray you will really enjoy it I think they are fortunate to have you!
I love all 3 of you,
MeMee
Wow. I'm so glad that you are teaching him to recognize the inside of the cow before he learns the what the animal looks like. I can see him interacting with the other kids: "cow says what?" "sirloin and top round".
Joel, obviously my lessons are more practical, particularly since cows do NOT, in fact, say "Mooo".
I'm just glad you noticed!
I love the update - as always, we're praying for you guys with the many new ventures in your lives. Jonathan - we are very proud of you and happy that the new job is looking good to you. I hope Logan likes daycare as much as Britney seems to like her new job.
Finally - I LOVE THE PICTURES!!!
We miss you already - but we sure loved our time together over the holidays!
Love ya - MOM R.
I am fully aware of the fact that cows cannot purse their lips and therefore cannot make a 'mm' sound.
Post a Comment