I'll first apologize for the lack of pictures. My partial excuse is that I don't yet have internet at the house, and I've also been too tired/lazy to take pictures (whenever I do remember to). I will post some soon, I promise.
Thanks to Don Reddick (my father-in-law) we were able to get a lot done this last week. Don, along with a few hired hands, was able to get most of the flooring down on the house. When he left on Friday afternoon (to go home for a cruise...) the living room/kitchen and the hallway was down. Friday night, Britney and I stayed up until about 1:30 am finishing our bedroom floor so that we could put our bedroom furniture in there the following day. I realized that, thanks to my long legs, I could put the floor planks down by myself, so I layed most of the flooring while Britney put down underlayment and ran to get me coffee.
Saturday morning was moving day. We picked up a 14' U-Haul at 8:00 am, and at 9:00 am three guys came over to help us move all the furniture to our house. It took us about four hours and cost us three foot-longs and three Dairy Queen Blizzards (along with the cost of the U-Haul). Fortunatly the skies were kind to us Saturday morning and early after-noon; it began to pour (on-and-off) at about 2:30 pm. My only piece of advice, from moving day, is to get a bigger truck than you think you need: about an hour of the moving time was rearranging the truck to fit the furniture. Oh, and use furniture pads, even if they cost a little extra, before you scratch up your bedroom furniture (not after)...
The wall is finished, and it looks great. The work cost us about double the original estimated price, which I'm not thrilled about, but it does look amazing. We also called out a plumber on Monday morning to snake the kitchen sink; it continued to back-up, despite my repeat best-efforts to solve the problem. $135 for a 20 minute job was well worth the happiness of having a properly working sink in the kitchen; now I can cook (and do the dished) without worrying about the sink filling up.
Britney had the day off yesterday (and today), so she is making trips to-and-from the appartment to move the rest of our things. We have to get the appartment cleaned up by Wednesday (or Thursday?) so that the carpets can be cleaned for our final moving out. She has been a real trooper, and I love her more for it.
We were both so tired yesterday, that we went to bed at about 10:30 pm (compared to a normal time of 12:00 am).
The outside of the cabinets have been sanded for priming, which I hope to finish this weekend. I also want to get the floor in the office done this weekend, so that we can put the office funiture in there.
Lastly, the cats have adjusted well.
-Jon
1 comment:
First. I am so so glad that the cats have adjusted. I was deeply concerned for their well being and am moved at how well they have adjusted to their new home.
Second. Sounds like a ton of work and money, but I'm excited to come and see the place when ever I have a weekend that is available.
Third. That was a flagrant abuse of parenthetical statements, and I believe that you owe us and them an apology.
love Joel.
Post a Comment